The aim of this module is to provide an appreciation of workplace hazards, the systems for controlling them and the drivers for the need for continuous improvement in workplace safety. Task risk assessment, Permit to Work, behavioural safety systems and hazardous area classification are studied, as are personal protective equipment and management of hazardous chemicals and goods.
At the end of the course you will be able to
- Apply appropriate techniques to develop a documented workplace safety assessment
- Consider alternative approaches to workplace safety management
- Apply the concept of tolerability of risk and As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) to workplace hazard management
- Incident rates
- Attitudes to risk and perception of risk
- Control of workplace hazards: safe systems of work
Task risk assessment/job safety analysis
- Risk ranking and ALARP assessment for workplace activities
- Risk assessment process & hazard checklist
- Hierarchy of controls
- Toolbox talks
- Safe isolation of hazardous equipment
- Company-specific rules of safety
- Material safety data sheets
- Dangerous goods transportation
- General, work at height, work with chemicals, etc.
- Zone ratings
- Methods of hazardous area classification
In-house customised training can be provided upon request. Enquire for further details.