Our services | Learning | Courses and events | Functional Safety (incl. SIL)
Functional Safety (incl. SIL)
During this course you will learn about how to understand and apply the principles of functional safety to the development and assessment of safety systems, based on the IEC 61508 standard. The course illustrates the primary elements of the Safety Lifecycle and how these are applied to the development of safety systems. It also covers the assessment of safety systems to confirm that functional requirements and risk reduction targets have been achieved. Students will develop expertise in the application of the techniques necessary to specify, implement and assess safety systems to meet the requirements of IEC 61508.
- Introduction to functional safety – background, terminology and aims
- The Safety Lifecycle (IEC 61508 view)
- Hazard & risk analysis techniques
- SIL selection (setting targets and requirements)
- Safety requirements specification development
- SIL and the design process
- Beyond design lifecycle phases
- Compliance demonstration
- Safety/project lifecycle management
- Human and plant vulnerability to physical effects
- Commercial and public domain software tools
At the end of the course you will be able to
- Define safety functions and target Safety Integrity Level (SIL) requirements which will reduce the associated risks to a tolerable level.
- Apply the analysis methodologies to ensure that, when implemented, the safety systems achieve specified risk reduction targets.
- Logically deduce how the level of risk reduction achieved by a safety system could be improved and when risk has been reduced to As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for managers, engineers, operators, HSE advisors and risk management practitioners.
For more information about the contents of the Bowtie Risk Management course or to register email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start date: 15th -16th April 2019
Event duration: 2 days
Location: Liwa Heights, Jumeirah Lakes Towers, Dubai
Award: Certificate of attendance.
Download the brochure
Submit an enquiry
I wish to discuss my requirements with a professional advisor.